3rd February 2015
* Muslim Council of Britain strongly condemns animal mistreatment in a UK slaughterhouse
* Criminal activity betrays the very principles of humane slaughter
* Revelations highlight once again the need for implementation of clearly defined standards in all methods of slaughter
The Muslim Council of Britain is appalled at reports of animal mistreatment at an abattoir purportedly following the principles of halal methods of slaughter.
Animal cruelty is wrong and criminal wherever it may occur. that it is being carried out in halal slaughter makes it even more incredulous . Animal welfare should be observed by all slaughterhouses.
The findings certainly are abhorrent in Islamic practice, and the abattoir must be subject to the full force of the law. In the past, Animal Aid has reported on similar abuses taking place at non-religious UK slaughterhouses.
There are urgent questions this case raises: since each abattoir is under veterinarian supervision, how were these practices overlooked? We call on the Food Standards Agency to look into this abuse and the flagrant disregard of the very principles of humane slaughter as a matter of urgency.
These revelations will undermine Muslim consumer trust. It is now of paramount importance, as the Muslim Council of Britain has said repeatedly in the past, to work towards a national set of agreed standards and accreditation in halal methods of slaughter that abides by established Islamic precepts. We also believe, to increase trust for the consumers, that the use of CCTV cameras in abattoirs should be seriously considered.
Notes to Editors:
1. The Muslim Council of Britain is the UK’s largest Muslim umbrella body with over 500 affiliated national, regional and local organisations, mosques, charities and schools.
2. More statements from the Muslim Council of Britain on Halal http://www.mcb.org.uk/tag/halal/
For further information please contact:
The Muslim Council of Britain
PO Box 57330 London E1 2WJ
Tel: 0845 26 26 786
Fax: 0207 247 7079
Follow MCB Interactive