|The MCB - PO Box 57330, London E1 2WJ - Email:email@example.com Tel:+44 (0) 845 26 26 786 Fax:+44 (0) 207 247 7079|
Books For Schools
The Books For Schools project aims to provide mainstream schools with high-quality Islamic resources (including books, custom made teacher notes, pupil activities, worksheets, CDs, DVDs, videos and accompanying teaching aids) in order to promote harmony and respect amongst Britain's diverse communities. Our resources are designed to facilitate the teaching of Islam within the Schools Curriculum as outlined by QCA guidelines.
Here, you will find all the information you need to know about the project. A detailed list of resources that are available in the books packs as well as some more detailed information about the history of the project, the core team and why this initiative was sought.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the concept behind Books For Schools?
- How can this resource facilitate the teaching of Islam in RE?
- What does a resource pack contain?
- For what age groups are the Books For Schools resources?
- How much does a pack cost and from where can I order it?
1. What is the concept behind Books For Schools?
The vision of the books for schools project can be viewed by clicking here.
2. How can this resource facilitate the teaching of Islam in RE?
Our resource has been designed by educationalists and teachers with reference to the RE Non Statutory Framework (QCA). It covers both Key Stages 1 and 2 and aims to enhance children's experience of diversity in all areas of the curriculum, including the hidden, through enjoyable, cross-curricular based work. This self-contained resource pack provides teachers with all the materials needed to teach about basic Muslim beliefs, pillars and practices through four original, engaging and interactive class/small group projects.
3. What does a resource pack contain?
There are two types of resources, a full-pack and a mini-pack. A full-pack consists of:
- Four user friendly, child orientated projects *
- Six objects/artefacts in common use by Muslim children in various parts of the world
- Two audio visual items (CD and a Video)
- Seventeen children's books and booklets
- Five posters
The objects/artefacts are:
- Compass (used to locate the direction of Makkah for Prayers)
- Hijab (head scarf worn by girls and women)
- Ihram (two pieces of white cloth worn by men during the Hajj pilgrimage)
- Prayer cap (often worn by boys and men when offering Prayers)
- Prayer mat (often used when offering daily prayers).
- Rehal (wooden Qur'an stand)
The audio visual items are:
- Expressions of Faith (CD) *
- Wafa's Eid (DVD with accompanying booklet and poster) *
The books and booklets are:
- A Caring Neighbour
- A Gift of Friendship
- Colouring Book 2: The Arts of the Muslim World
- Dawud Wharnsby Ali *
- Dear Diary *
- English Translation of Holy Quran
- Islam: Beliefs and Teachings
- Muslim Child
- My Id-ul-Fitr
- Seeing Things More Clearly *
- Stories from the Muslim World
- Tell Me About Hajj
- Tell Me About Muhammad
- The Colour of Home
- The Greatest Stories from the Quran
The posters are:
- 5 Basic Duties of Islam
- Sacred Places
- Prophets of Allah
- How to make Wudu and Salah
* This item is contained in the ‘mini-pack’
4. For what age groups are the Books For Schools resources?
These resource packs are designed for mainstream primary schools to facilitate RE teachers when teaching Islam.
5. How much does a pack cost and from where can I order it?
Materials have been designed to be reusable / photocopiable. We recommend one resource pack per primary school. Resource packs are available since May 2005.
To order a pack or for further details please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The packs are priced at only £250 for a full-pack and £150 for a mini-pack.
The Muslim Council of Britain
P. O. BOX 57330
LONDON E1 2WJ
Tel: 0845 26 26 786