Aziz Foundation PhD Scholarships:
Developing Academics from British Muslim Communities
The Foundation is offering 3 PhD scholarships starting in the 2018-19 academic year. The scholarships offer a unique opportunity for exceptional students active in British Muslim communities and interested in how their needs may be met through research and academic work.
The purpose of the Foundation’s PhD scholarships is to support individuals who have the intellect and determination to develop and offer fresh thought and significant insights, in areas where disadvantaged British Muslim communities most need them. Priority for these scholarships will be given to research which helps foster an understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing British Muslims through either:
- the application of the Maqasid Al-Shariah to a point of Islamic theology, ethics or law as to be understood by British Muslims.
- a deeper understanding of a philosophical, political, legal, economic, educational, social or cultural problem facing British Muslims, particularly where this may be addressed through public policy, or
- the quantitative analysis of large data sets that help develop more nuanced narratives on British Muslims.
The Foundation is keen however, to support students who would like to pursue an academic career not just to benefit Muslims, but all communities, secular and religious, in pursuit of their specific and common goals that will help create a more cohesive Britain.
The successful applicants will be selected through an application and interview process managed by the Aziz Foundation directly. The scholarship will cover tuition and living expenses for three years, up to a maximum of £20,000 in total per year.
PhD students will additionally be supported through the Aziz Foundation’s Leadership Support Scheme (LSS), which will assist in developing their knowledge-base, personal qualities, leadership skills and professional networks. They will be matched with mentors to support and guide them during and after their study. They will further undertake two short placements with a community related or research organisation and a statutory sector agency respectively.
Applicants should meet all the following requirements:
- Have or expect to have an offer for PhD study from a reputable British university;
- Provide a high-quality proposal demonstrating originality, importance and feasibility;
- Be active within their local and/or Muslim faith community and demonstrate a desire to develop intellectual skills within a secular/multi-faith environment;
- Be able to demonstrate long-term commitment to community/societal development and good relations work;
- Be eligible for Home fee status.
Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarships will be awarded for a maximum of three years. Only applications to Year 1 of a full-time PhD programmes of study will be considered.
If you meet the above criteria and would like to apply for this scholarship, please submit the following documents:
- An offer letter from your institution;
- A completed Aziz Foundation scholarship application form (which includes a statement of no more than 2,000 words setting out how you meet the criteria above (500 words), the focus of your intended PhD study (500 words), why you think this is important for British Muslims (500 words), and how you hope to use this scholarship opportunity for your future work (500 words));
- Your CV
- A copy of your course application (please keep a copy of this from when you submit the application);
Your scholarship application should be emailed to [email protected] by 25 May 2018.
If called, please attend the interview with the Aziz Foundation. Reasonable travel expenses can be reimbursed on production of receipts. Interviews will be held in week commencing 25 June 2018.
Please note that we will only contact you if you have been successful for short-listing. If you do not hear from us, then please assume that in this instance your application has not been successful.
The Aziz Foundation welcomes informal enquiries from candidates considering an application. Enquiries should be made to [email protected]