16 June 2017
Following the tragic event of the Grenfell Tower Fire on Wednesday 14th June an Emergency Muslim Response Unit has been coordinated with British Muslim charities and the local authorities to help to provide much needed support to the victims and families affected.
Below are listed essential services for families affected, to access:
INFORMATION POINTS FOR AFFECTED FAMILIES
Families enquiring about loved ones should contact the main information point at Westway Sports Centre, 1 Crowthorne Road, W10 6RP.
This is the rest and respite centre for families and evacuees.
NHS medical professionals, counsellors and psyho-social support and social workers are available on site led by British Red Cross.
NO DONATION OF ITEMS NEEDED – FINANCIAL AID REQUIRED
We have been overwhelmed by the number of items donated to support the victims, however we do not need any more items.
A coordinated effort is being made with Local Councils and the British Red Cross to transport all surplus food, clothing and essential items to storage locations for distribution.
We welcome you to support the victims through giving your funds to registered British charities, such as Muslim Aid, Islamic Relief, Penny Appeal and National Zakat Foundation, who will work with the local authorities and emergency services to distribute funds to support the long term needs of the victims and families affected.
BEREAVEMENT AND COUNSELLING SERVICES
The following services are available to families in need of burial and bereavement services:
– Gardens of Peace is offering FREE advice on burials and bereavement services. For burial advice, please call: 0208 502 6000.
For Muslim Bereavement Support Service, please call: 0203 468 7333
– Eden Burial Service is offering FREE advice on burial and bereavement services. Please contact: Anika Sadeque on 07718 175461 or [email protected] or Ahad on 07932 597239.
Eden are also providing befriending and advocacy services for affected families. They can also refer non-Muslim burials to their partner organisations.
– Sukoon Counselling Service is available to victims and families affected. Please contact Rehan on 07943 561561.
EMERGENCY CASH GRANTS
National Zakat Foundation is focused on the education, calculation and distribution of Zakat to eligible persons in the UK. They are in West London providing zakat and emergency cash grants for residents from the evacuated building to cover basic needs including food, travel and temporary accommodation.
NZF will be facilitating the resettlement process as well as providing much needed well-being support and access to counselling services.
If you are aware of families in need of immediate and long term cash grants and assistance please visit www.nzf.org.uk for more information or contact 03333 123123.
Alternatively visit Al-Manaar Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre where work is being carried out with the local community.[ENDS]
Notes to Editors:
1. The Muslim Council of Britain is the UK’s largest Muslim umbrella body with over
500 affiliated national, regional and local organisations, mosques,
charities and schools.
2. The Muslim Emergency Response Unit is a coordinated effort and collaboration of British Muslim UK registered charities and local authorities providing services to meet the needs of victims and families affected in the fire. Further updates will be provided in the next few days.
3. For further information please contact:
The Muslim Council of Britain
PO Box 57330
Tel: 0845 26 26 786
Fax: 0207 247 7079